Author Topic: Reliable free file hosts in 2019?  (Read 28 times)

James Daniel Marrs Ritchey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • James Daniel Marrs Ritchey Official Website
Reliable free file hosts in 2019?
« on: October 13, 2019, 10:00:53 AM »
Each year there are fewer and fewer file hosts period, let alone free files hosts, let alone free file hosts which don't require registration. Many of the hosts available now in 2019 are small services which disappear after a year or two. The few bigger services still in the game have long since rebranded as cloud backups, but they typically have the ability to create download links for things you wish to share. Basically, it has all been downhill since the Megaupload seizure in 2012.

James Daniel Marrs Ritchey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • James Daniel Marrs Ritchey Official Website
Re: Reliable free file hosts in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
The best one I know of currently is Mega.nz (https://mega.nz). It started out good, but it has made changes over the years which negatively affect free users. Originally it provided 50GB of free storage. I think they did this to popularize the site, because no one else was offering anywhere near that to free users at the time. Then they changed it to 15GB. Now they've made it so that you start with 15GB, but you can earn up to 50GB, but the additional earnings are only valid for certain time periods (eg: 30 days, 180 days, etc). Also now, they crack down more on deleting "inactive" accounts so they can free up storage. I wouldn't call Mega a good option anymore for free users, as the changes in storage space prove them to be less reliable than I once thought, but they are still a decent option.

One thing to keep in mind with Mega is that the company is based in New Zealand, but not all of their servers are there, and they don't state where their servers are. This is important, because how much legal control over your data you have is dependent on which countries you're storing it in. However everything you upload to Mega is encrypted so that only you (and anyone else with the decryption key) can access it. Mega itself doesn't have access to your files which helps protect your control regardless of where in the world your content is physically hosted.