Author Topic: Ecosia  (Read 46 times)

James Daniel Marrs Ritchey

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
    • James Daniel Marrs Ritchey Official Website
Ecosia
« on: August 23, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »
Ecosia is a search engine which uses 80% of its profit margin from ad revenues and merchandise sales to plant trees. The other 20% of profits is held in reserve, and may end up being used to plant trees.

The site was founded in 2009 so it's been around for about a decade now. The search engine relies on results from Bing (Microsoft's search Engine). It's unclear if Ecosia is German or American. It's a B Corporation which, the FAQ claims are based in the United States, but the FAQ also states Ecosia is "Germany's first B Corporation". This is a bit contradictory, and as far as I can tell there are several permitted countries for a B Corporation to be based in.

The FAQ says they currently plant trees in "Peru, Brazil, Madagascar, Nicaragua, Haiti, Colombia, Spain, Morocco, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Indonesia". It is unlikely they will be planting any trees in Canada or the United States, because they are focused on biodiversity hotspot areas in the poorest agricultural regions of the world. The upside to this is they are helping to create jobs in places where they are needed (two birds; one stone), the trees also help to replenish soil allowing locals to grow more food, and it likely allows them to plant a larger number of trees for the same cost. That's an impressive chain of positive effects. The downside is, unless you're from one of these select places (you probably aren't) you can't help your local environment. It's also important to note that while Ecosia brands itself as the search engine that plants trees, it actually uses it's profits to fund any of the following: planting trees, sowing, firefighting (to prevent existing trees from being lost), or Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration. To date (Aug 23, 2019) the site claims to have planted over 65 million trees.